15 Dec A year of set backs, and moments of success (2017, what a year right?)
It felt like we just couldn’t expand this year. It felt like set back after set back. I felt like we had failed the people who had backed us from the start (many with their own $).
They do say, everything happens for a reason. Our reason was, before expanding we had to Pause, look at the foundations, our project, and evaluate the real (honest) success (or not) we have had in schools.
As important as this sounds. It has been full of vulnerability, mind swirling round and round, frustration, heads stuck in computers, more ideas, more ideas (I’m good at that).
On another note we had some solid ‘on the ground’ success and, before getting into the set-backs, I would love to share some of these golden moments of ‘17 with you first.
- We helped 61 more schools, across 5 Australian states, integrate 3-minutes of Mindful Breathing (now a total of 111 schools).
- Speaking, inspiring and empowering 30,000+ students and teachers.
- We were gifted $25,000 from a man who believes in Breathe Project more than us (maybe close).
- Bringing Tommy the legendary filmer on the road with us for our 2nd Annual East Coast Tour. Watch our first ever short film here (42k views, just flexing).
- Employing Jenna, our first kids teacher and School Integration Support person.
- Teaching at YogaFest, Wanderlust Festival, Bloom Wellness Festival (1st ever closing ceremony & we created magic), Sacred Earth Retreat and Conscious Life Fest.
- Working with our first tech start-up at the AMP building in Sydney.
- Working (first time) with remote indigenous communities in WA
- Sending Just Breathe Singlets & School Starter Packs to NZ and Europe.
- Moving into our dream home with the perfect, fresh and clear studio to mark as BREATHE PROJECT’S own office.
- Hosting a rad ‘Send Off Celebration’ event at one of our favourite places on earth, with many special friends, family and fans.
- Breathe School becoming our Company and registered for GST.
- Securing sponsorship from Travellers Autobarn for our East Coast Tour (our van broke down one week before we were leaving).
- Training with the global pioneer of Breath-work, Dan Brule.
- Kat launched her first AcroYoga Series (it’s been epic) + was invited to present to teen girls multiple times – her specialty.
- We received articles in Australian Yoga Journal Magazine, Backstory, International Yoga Institute Magazine, Bloom Magazine.
- 2 television stories in one day ( WIN NEWS and Channel 7). That’s a total of 11 now (without any paid advertising).
These are the darker not so golden moments, that as time went on, became our greatest teachers.
- Starting the year redlining on empty (no $$$).
- Not enough bookings for Sunshine Coast or Brisbane.
- 2 news articles banned by NSW Department of Education.
- Hiring our first Admin person (only lasted 2 months).
- No partnerships after 3 months of trying.
- Getting rejected from the ‘perfect’ business accelerator (so we built our own with the best).
- Canceling our Northern Territory Tour.
- Having to pause (stop) for 12 weeks and re-evaluate.
- Pushing back our greatest ‘world changing’ idea yet (again).
- Finishing our relationship with Joel Harris, the original designer responsible for everything you and the kids have seen for the past 2 years.
- Our almighty 2018 booking strategy coming up short 50 schools.
After writing this out, I can see all of the growth we have had in the past 12 months. Kat and I as a couple, as co-teachers, co-founders and just two unique individuals on a mission to change the world together. We’ve probably felt every emotion under the sun, and somehow the love still shines.
“The seasons do not push one another; neither do clouds race the wind across the sky. All things happen in their own good time.” – Dan Millman
What keeps us going?
As you can see from reading this far down. We have had to motivate ourselves to keep on going (many of times) this year. I want to share with you, what fuels our drive? What lights our flames? Why can’t we just give up and throw it all in the ‘too hard basket’.
Teenage suicide rates are at an all time high.
- Suicide is the leading cause of death for Australians aged between 15-44.
Medication for mental health issues is getting out of hand.
- In Australia over 62,000 children aged 2 – 16 years were taking mind-altering ADHD drugs in 2013, based on subjective and arbitrary “expert” opinion about their behaviour (this has only increased in 2017).
- 2013-14, Australian Institute Health and Welfare figures showed 95,425 kids under the age of 15 were using some type of mental health drug.
Kids are suffering in the old school system.
- Australia has been ranked 39 out of 41 high and middle income countries in achieving quality education, in the latest international report to find that the country is falling behind in basic measures of teaching and learning.
- 1 in 4 Teenagers drop out of school before completing year 12.
Basically. We are called to help the youth. To not only focus on prevention, but focus on empowering the next generations to be free, happy and do what they love. Free from their mind. Free from society’s expectations. Free from suffering.
The comments we have received after our workshops have been loving and heartbreaking at the same time. Here is a couple for you to read.
Hey, you guys came to Kensington community high school Monday the 20th June. I just wanted to say thank you so much for teaching us this, this has helped me since Monday because I’ve been going through depression and other stuff, but the breathing technique has helped me not self harm,crawl in a ball and cry and actually not stay awake all night as well. I wish i knew about this sooner thank you so much Kat & Bodhi. – Anonymous – Kensington Community College
You’ve just visited Colac Secondary College today, and I just want to say, from the bottom of my heart, I thank the both of you. Even though my class had entered late, I have still learnt a lot that can help with my depression and anxiety. As I’ve been suicidal in the past, and still am now, I appreciate everything you have done. Not just for our school, but for everyone else you have visited.
As a thank you, if you need any students, or would like someone to come and talk to other students with the both of you, I would love to try to help out anyway possible.
Again, thank you both for everything you both do.
Best wishes. – Anonymous – Colac Secondary College
Now as the year comes to an end. While the craziness starts coming in…family, expectation, lots of events. This is the perfect training ground for Mindful Breathing. How centered can you stay?
While things are winding down for us. We are busy bees creating…
TWO LIFE CHANGING IDEAS for an early 2018 launch.
I have to share one. We are launching a…
6 Week Mindful Breathing Video Course (online) | Primary Schools anywhere in the world will have access to this, plus classroom activities, lesson plans and a library of our resources.
Pre-sales will go LIVE soon… The Breathe Team is crazily excited about this for two reasons. One, we can reach all of the schools out of our physical scope, that’s 206,607 schools and millions of kids. Two, we can offer a cheaper option for schools without the budget for our face to face workshops.
Watch our Instagram Story Board daily for more insights (especially for the 2nd life changing idea).
Until the new year,